Lead your board from micro-management to macro-governance
Move your organization to a highly-engaged and mission-driven board through Vantage Point’s unique Governance Lab.
By specifically engaging the board chair, executive director, and vice/incoming chair in an interactive shared learning opportunity, you will advance the effectiveness and efficiency of your board.
- Ensure clarity and consistency around the roles and responsibilities of the board chair and the executive in leading, governing and managing the organization
- Improve team leadership by strengthening the working relationship between the chair and the executive - creating a stronger board and a mission-driven organization
- Create continuity of leadership through a shared learning experience
Over the course of this program, you will investigate and learn:
- Topic #1 - Governing in the Not-for-Profit Sector
How to develop an organizational leadership model to align board, staff and volunteers to your mission. An introduction to the foundation of Governance as Leadership as developed by Richard Chait, Bill Ryan and Barbara Taylor.
- Topic #2 - Developing Your Current Board
How to conduct (ongoing) board Assessments to clarify all members of the board are on the same page. How to become effective based on understanding the life cycle of your organization and your board.
- Topic #3 - Increasing Board Involvement in Fund Development
Defining the role of the board and the executive in creating and lending a culture of friend (fund) development.
- Topic #4 - Managing the Performance of the Executive Director
Defining performance planning and evaluation for the executive and the organization. This session examines methods for reviewing the performance of the executive director.
- Topic #5 - Creating a Strategic Board
How to identify the six characteristics of an ongoing effective board of trustees. Building board diversity in a cognitive way.
You and your team will complete this program through 2 full classroom days (9:00am - 4:00pm) and 1 half-day (9:00am - 12:00pm) over 2 months.
October 24, 2014
October 25, 2014
November 15, 2014 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm)
All sessions are held at Vantage Point (1183 Melville Street, Downtown Vancouver)
$1725 for 3 team members
(board chair, in-coming/vice chair, & executive director)
For more information, please review our Frequently Asked Questions, or contact Nareena Switlo, Education Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-637-8297.