Lead, govern and manage your organization with excellence
Are you an executive director looking to build (or refresh) your knowledge of good not-for-profit management practices? Leaders Lab examines six essential areas of a strong organizational foundation.
This unique learning opportunity creates dynamic team leadership by inviting executives to attend each session with a board director, senior staff member or leadership volunteer. You'll always have someone in your passenger seat!
What will I learn?
By end of the course, you will be able to:
• Understand the distinct roles of the executive and board in leading, managing and governing an organization
• Flag issues that create legal risk for not-for-profits
• Develop people practices that are key to effective mission delivery
• Understand the process of planning strategically to deliver your mission
• Define the roles of staff and board in developing and achieving a fund development strategy
• Differentiate between financial health, capacity and sustainability
Additionally, you will have:
• Increased shared organizational knowledge among key members of your team - board and staff
• Developed supportive relationships and personal networks with other not-for-profit leaders
What are my responsibilities?
Along with attending three full day classroom sessions, you will:
• Develop an action plan for transferring relevant learning into your
• Attend a final discussion circle with all of the trainers focused on this question: Now that
you’ve implemented your action plans what new questions have
The cost is $625 per organization and allows participation for 2 people at each session.
The program has been developed specifically for executives, board members and other senior not-for-profit staff.
Leaders Lab Vancouver Winter 2014 February to May Full Day Sessions
This cohort is on-going; registration is closed.
Facilitator: Randy Schaefer
*All sessions on Wednesdays from 9am to 4pm unless noted
February 26, 2014 - Board Governance (Jen Reed-Lewis) & Strategic Planning (Randy Schaefer)
April 2, 2014 - Human Resources (Nancy More) & Fund Development (Meg Clarke)
April 30, 2014 - Legal Responsibilities (Michael Blatchford) & Financial Management (Kathleen Speakman)
May 28, 2014 (9:00 – 12:00pm) - Peer discussion circle - All facilitators
Leaders Lab Vancouver Spring 2014 April to July Evening Sessions
Application deadline, Friday, March 7, 2014 Apply now!
*All sessions on Thursday nights from 5pm to 8:30pm, except for the first session which happens on a Wednesday.
April 9, 2014 - Board Governance (Kathi Irvine)
April 24, 2014 - Strategic Planning (Randy Schaefer)
May 8, 2014 - Human Resources (TBA)
May 22, 2014 - Fund Development (TBA)
June 05, 2014 - Legal Responsibilities (TBA)
June 19, 2014 - Financial Management (Kathleen Speakman)
July 03, 2014 - Discussion Circle
If you would like to be notified of future sessions, please register on our interest list.
Please contact Piya Banerjee, Program Manager, at email@example.com or 604-637-8297.
What others are saying about Vantage Point’s learning opportunities:
“The seminars are aimed at both Executive Directors and Board Members, giving participants both sides of the equation and bringing a new understanding for some. I can’t recommend Vantage Point highly enough. I have told many colleagues about the seminars and have received rave reviews and heartfelt thank you’s in return.”
Dorothy Van der Ree, Executive Director, MSA Museum Society
"I found the sessions to be on target with the information, the knowledge philanthropists very effective in sharing their information and answering questions, and the opportunity for exchange among attendees very useful."
Linda Palm, Executive Director Pacific Sport Fraser Valley