Strategic Planning ABC’s
A strategic plan provides high-level direction and ensures effective board governance for an organization.
Learn why having a strategic plan is important to your organization and how this can be achieved. This workshop focuses on the importance of a strategic plan and outlines its components.
Executive directors/CEOs, board members and other senior leaders of not-for-profit organizations
By the end of this session you will be able to:
• Define the role of the board and the role of management in preparing for and developing a strategic plan
• Evaluate the differences between a strategic plan and an operational plan
• Outline different types of environmental scans and their role in effective preparation for strategic planning
• Describe the five components of a strategic plan for your organization: Vision, mission, success, strategic goals and values
The Importance of a Strategic Plan in Aligning People to Mission
• To provide high-level, future-looking direction for everyone in the organization
• To align ALL of the people in the organization (board, staff and knowledge philanthropists) to the mission of the organization
The Leadership Ladder
• The big picture – these are all the levels involved in aligning people to mission
• Examine which parts are board-led and which are staff-led
• Some of these are part of the strategic plan, some part of the operational plan
• Participants with a current strategic plan will be able to evaluate the strengths of what they currently have in place and how to evolve it further.
• Participants new to strategic planning will be able to start the preparation and development of a strategic plan for their organization.