Building the capacity of organizations
Are you looking to guide your organization through significant growth, change, or transition? Do you feel your organization has unrealized potential? Capacity Lab is the perfect program to take a close look at your organization and make an action plan to effectively move through transitions.
What is capacity?
Capacity Lab is a blend of in-class learning and expert consulting. Our not-for-profit clients have seen tremendous benefits through this guided self-assessment process. Members of our consulting team will work with you to build a capacity enhancement plan for your organization.
We define capacity as the health of your organization in five areas:
- Financial Resources
- Administrative Systems
How it Works
The Capacity Lab is a six-month guided self-assessment process for for senior staff (Executive Directors, CEOs, general managers, etc.) and not-for-profit board members.
Each session will have two spaces for your organization to attend. We recommend having your Executive Director fill one spot for the entire program and the second spot can be alternated with a different staff or board member each session. When you register, you will be asked to provide two names. Please provide the names of the two people who will attend the first session.
Application Deadline: Closed for 2021
Bursary Application Deadline: 1 month before course start date
Location: Online / Virtual
Cost: $2,675 (for two participants)
2021 Program Schedule
January 20, 2021
9:30 am – 3 pm | Introduction to Lifecycles
February 17, 2021
9:30 am – 3 pm | Programs
March 10, 2021
9:30 am – 3 pm | Management
April 7, 2021
9:30 am – 3 pm | Governance
May 5, 2021
9:30 am – 3 pm | Financial Resources
June 2, 2021
9:30 am – 3 pm | Administrative Systems
June 30, 2021
9:30 am – 3 pm | Review Self-Assessment Process and Capacity Improvement Planning
Is this the right program for my organization?
In this program you will examine each of these categories for your organization. Capacity Lab gives you clarity on the best way to move your organization forward. If you are looking to tackle roadblocks and create a path to greater impact – this is the program for you.
You and your organization are an ideal candidate if you are:
- Eager to invest in your organization’s strength and sustainability
- Experiencing growing pains and increased demand for services or programs
- Facing an upcoming transition
- Seeking expert guidance to get your organization on track
After working in London and completing her MBA at INSEAD in France and Singapore, Maria Turnbull joined Vantage Point’s team in 2006. Rooted in the not-for-profit sector through numerous leadership roles with the British and Canadian Red Cross Societeis. OXFAM and Amnesty international, Maria loves collaborating and exploring partnerships in her role as Associate Executive Director at Vantage Point. Sher strongly believes that the greates potential citizens have for positive change in the community is through the not-for-profit sector.
How will my organization benefit?
You and your organization will have the opportunity to:
- EIdentify transition stages that may be causing pressure and how to move through them
- EUnderstand how your current challenges and opportunities are part of a normal progression
- EComplete a comprehensive self-assessment to identify your organization’s current lifecycle stage
- EOutline realistic steps your organization can take to build capacity in governance, management, financial resources and/or administrative systems
What will you accomplish?
Through the seven-day process, participating organizations will:
- EUnderstand the seven stages of your organization’s lifecycle
- EAssess the five areas of your organizational capacity (programs, management, governance, systems, and financial resources)
- EGet clarity on your organizational development activities that offer the greatest impact
- EDevelop a detailed organizational capacity improvement plan
Topics of each of the 7 full-day learning session.
Intro to Nonprofit Lifecycles
Review Capacity Improvement Plans
Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates